Thursday, August 7, 2014

Shelf for Nautical Nursery

So in our little one's Nautical Nursery, we figured out how to get our tall dresser from the hubby's childhood & our double dresser we found in the old garage to match our very beautiful-yet-not-common-colored crib.  I also had a shelf that my dad built me when I was younger & I really wanted to use it in the nursery.  Unfortunately, it was a dark stain that just wouldn't go in the nursery.  So what to do?  Well...
Here is the original shelf.  It's just a simple shelf, but since my dad made it, it has sentimental value.  My first thought was that I wanted to white-wash it & try & get a driftwood look.  
So I sanded it down & got ready to white-wash it.  I found an awesome tutorial on Pinterest & followed the instructions.  Yeah, it didn't work for me.

I just could not get it to get the driftwood look that I was hoping for.  SO I sanded it back down & started over.
I decided that I would paint it the same grey that I painted the tall dresser & the double dresser & then glaze it in the same way with the Valspar glaze.  If you want more info on the glazing process, click here.
So I didn't get the driftwood look that I was going for, but the shelf matches all of the other furniture now & it goes well with the accessories.  And I love that Peyton's room has a piece of my childhood with this shelf & Steve's with the tall dresser.  : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment