Friday, May 23, 2014

Vintage Beer-Themed 90th Birthday Party

So last Sunday was my grandfather's 90th birthday.  Even at the ripe old age of 90, the man loves beer.  So when my mom called 3 days before his birthday & said they were having a birthday lunch for him & would I do a dessert table, I had to throw things together pretty quickly & naturally went with a vintage/beer theme. The Husband had been out of town the whole week, so it was me at 8 mths pregnant trying to get this dessert table together while watching toddler Addy & her toddler friend who came to visit for the day on Saturday.  It got done however, although all of my pictures are absolutely horrendous.  They had the birthday lunch at my uncle's house.  My uncle lives on the lake, so we love to go out there.  However, his house may be the most absolute worst place to have a party where you want to take a picture of anything.  He is 100% bachelor.  His walls are dark wood, the floors are dark wood, the furniture is dark & there is very little lighting except for from his big-ass TV.  Even worse, the only place I could set the table up was in front of the only light source available...the floor to ceiling windows on this one wall.  What a nightmare.  So there are going to be very few visuals as far as what this party looked like.  Besides the fact you could barely see the table (even in person), it looked pretty cute.  

I know, I know.  Not that you can tell from any of these pictures, but I wanted a vintage look, but with a beer theme.  So I had a crate in the middle (thank goodness the hubby sells wine & I somehow can always find a crate)...a really old book with an antique car sitting on it on the lefthand side & the old wooden suitcase that I have used on the table in the "Ahoy! It's a Boy!" nautical shower & the "Boy Meets World" sip & see party.  Because these were decorations that I was taking over to someone else's house, I kept it very minimal. 
 I did make a little banner that read "Vintage 1924" to honor the year my granddaddy was born.  I just used the same leftover travel scrapbook in light blues & tans from the "Boy Meets World" party.  And yes, I took this picture at my house after the party was over since I got 0 decent pictures at the party. : )
  For the desserts, I wanted to keep them all beer themed.
 So I made Angel Food Cake with Beer Macerated Strawberries
 Salted Beer Caramel Corn

So besides the fact that the lighting was terrible, it was really a fun afternoon.  The weather didn't cooperate, so we couldn't go out on the boat or anything, but it was very nice for our extended family to spend some time together, especially celebrating my granddaddy making it all the way to 90...drinking beer & all. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment