Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Very Hungry Caterpillar Party Invitations

So as you saw in the Very Hungry Caterpillar party post  a picture of the invitations for Addy's 2nd birthday.  These were surprisingly fun to make.  
The first thing I did was go out & buy a circle cutter.  I bought the smaller circle cutter from Martha Stewart & I love it so much that I think I will now buy the bigger one when I get another 40% or 50% coupon from Michaels.  Be warned...you need something under this circle cutter when cutting these circles.  You can read on my Pink & Pearl Baptism Party Banner post about how I may or may not have allegedly cut a circle into my desk.  ; )  They make little cutting boards that you can also buy.  I haven't bought one yet, I usually just use a cutting board from the kitchen, but I am thinking of investing in the actual craft cutting board since I think my cutting boards may be prematurely dulling my cutter blades. 

Anyway...I bought the awesome circle cutter & decided to make 6 inch circles for the invitation.  I made red circles for the caterpillar head, then two darker green circles & one light green circle for the caterpillar body.  I then made smaller circles from both colored greens for the eyes.  For the nose, I just cut out a random shape from leftover green paper.  For the antennas, I just free-styled one pair & then traced those to create the others.  Here is a close-up of the heads...

If you have seen any of my "What Will It Bee?" gender reveal party posts, then you know I love a corny little poem.  So, I decided a corny poem was a must for the invitation.  It says "Our little caterpillar is turning two, so you know what it's time to do...Come & join us as we snack & play. Help us celebrate Addy's 2nd birthday!"  Not quite Shel Silverstein, but it will do for a 2nd birthday party : )  
For the background of the printed part of the invitation, I googled "very hungry caterpillar backgrounds", found one that I liked & then just lightened the colors to make it where you would be able to read the print.  I will say that making the circles around the printed words was probably the most tedious part of these invitations, because you really had to make sure the wording would still be centered once made your circle.  It probably would have been easier if I was good at math & could do radius & all that jazz, but I just winged it instead & it turned out fine.  

I used a hole punch & then tied the different parts of the caterpillar together with alternating colored ribbons.  You know from my banners page that I am obsessed with alternating different colored ribbons & using them whenever possible.  I left the ribbons loose enough where I could fold up the caterpillar to mail out.  Anyway...so that's the Very Hungry Caterpillar invitation.  Circle cutter=life saver. : ) 

Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Invitations Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Food Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Apple Cake & Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Cherry Pie Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Guestbook & Favors Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Banners Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Decorations Post


No comments:

Post a Comment