Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Very Hungry Caterpillar Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

So for the "cupcakes" & "ice cream cones" that the caterpillar ate at the Very Hungry Caterpillar party, I saw some really cute ideas on Pinterest and decided to make ice cream cone cupcakes.  These ideas involved baking the cupcakes in an actual ice cream cone like this, or sticking a cupcake into an ice cream cone after baking.  Because I didn't want to figure out how to balance the ice cream cone to cook the cupcake in it, I chose to just stick the cupcake in the cone after baking.  I did not like this approach.  In retrospect, I wish I would have used this approach from A Spotted Pony & poured the cupcake batter in the regular cupcake pans to bake & then topped the batter with an ice cream cone.  Sticking the cupcake into the cone after baking worked, but the cupcake was a little bigger than the cone & it just seemed to get crumbly, which was a pain when it came to icing the cupcakes.  They still turned out delicious, so I guess that is what matters.  I will say because the cupcakes got a little crumbly, the chunks of cupcakes that wound up mixed in with the icing, actually made it look more like real ice cream.  
For my cupcakes, I baked half of them as red-velvet cupcakes (I used the rest of the red velvet cupcakes to make the Apple Cupcakes) & the other half I baked were Devils Food Cake (I used the rest of the Devils Food Cake cupcakes to make the Cherry Pie Cupcakes).  So I just made the cupcakes according to the box & then stuck them in the cones & then used the cream cheese icing (my personal favorite) to ice them.  I have seen some of these that are iced so cute & look like the soft-serve ice cream cones you get at a dairy bar.  Yeah, mine didn't look like that, but they worked out & got eaten, so that was fine.  : )  After I baked them, I put them in this box that I had decoupaged to look like the dots from the Very Hungry Caterpillar book.  You can read more about that box & the other decorations here.  Happy party planning! : )  


Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Invitations Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Food Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Apple Cake & Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Cherry Pie Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Guestbook & Favors Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Banners Post
Very Hungry Caterpillar - Party Decorations Post

No comments:

Post a Comment