Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Ahoy! It's a Boy! - DIY Life Preserver


I was convinced that the "Ahoy! It's a Boy!" nautical baby shower needed lots of decorations, including those of the DIY variety.  I did not do nearly as well taking pics of this DIY as I did with the DIY Anchor or DIY buoys.  I pretty much have a picture of the final product & that is it.  Boo.  But, I can tell you how I made it & promise that the "in progress" pics weren't really that exciting.


So I knew I wanted to have a life preserver hanging as part of the shower backdrop.  I shopped around & they were a little costly.  And what am I going to do with a costly life preserver after the shower is over?  Besides save lives of course.  ; )  So I decided I would just make one.  First, my inspiration came from where else?  Pinterest.  I saw this cute DIY life preserver at the Parties & Potty Training blog found here

She had taken a Styrofoam wreath & put yarn around it to make it look like a life preserver.  I found a Styrofoam wreath at a craft store for a few dollars, but I didn't have any yarn the color that I wanted.  I decided I would use white streamers (which I always have around for some reason but I don't know why because I am not sure I ever use them at parties, oh well) & I wrapped the streamers around the body of the wreath, taping it at the ends.  I did have some blue ribbon that I liked the color of, so I decided to use that instead of yarn.  I got some of the rope that I had in my garage that I also used on the DIY anchor & DIY buoys & I placed it loosely around the life preserver.  I put the knot tying the ends of the rope together under where I put some of the ribbon.  I then wrapped the ribbon around probably 10 times in 4 different places, securing the rope around with those silver flat thumb tacks, to recreate the "life preserver" look.  It's certainly not lifeguard approved, but I think it turned out pretty cute & only cost me the few bucks that the wreath based cost.  : )  Happy Crafting!
Click Below to See Other Posts About This Party

Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Nautical Themed Baby Shower
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Decorations
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Kid's table
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Party Food
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - DIY Buoys
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - DIY Life Preserver
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - DIY Anchor
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Banners
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Diaper Cake
Ahoy! It's a Boy! - Guestbook table

No comments:

Post a Comment